Alfred Salom Eichberg (1859–1921) was one of the most influential Georgia architects of his time. He designed the F. Rheinstein and Company Building (North Carolina), the New Hanover County Courthouse (North Carolina), and Brunswick Old City Hall (1889).
Eichberg was born in New York but his family soon moved to Atlanta, where his parents became influential in the German-Jewish community. He received his architectural training in Heidelberg, Germany before returning to Georgia to start his career.
As a young architect, he partnered with Calvin Fay to form Fay and Eichberg (1881-1888). They designed small buildings for the 1881 International Cotton Exposition in Atlanta and soon obtained larger commissions in Atlanta and Savannah including the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Telfair Hospital, and the Central Georgia Railway building (now called Eichberg Hall).
Although an excellent designer in the Queen Anne style and very familiar with the Italianate, which had been Fay’s forte, Eichberg was especially proficient in the popular Romanesque Revival style as expressed in the South with its extensive use of red brick and terra-cotta, a variety of arches, often spiky rooflines, and string courses and other decorative features in contrasting, rough-cut stonework. Good examples of this are Brunswick Old City Hall, the Guckenheimer Grocery Store Building (Savannah), and a double house for the Tiedeman brothers in Savannah.
Though Eichberg established his own firm in Savannah, he also kept an office on Newcastle Street in Brunswick to oversee his many projects here. In addition to Old City Hall, Eichberg also designed many other Brunswick landmarks, including the First National Bank of Brunswick (1894), Temple Beth Tefilloh (1886), and The Downing House, aka Brunswick Manor (1886)